Windows 10 came with its fair share of problems and one of the most recent is the issue of bluetooth icon disappearing from the taskbar. It appears a recent update to Windows 10 disables bluetooth on some Windows 10 devices, making the bluetooth icon disappear from the taskbar.
Re-enabling Bluetooth from the Device Manager
When a PC hardware component starts to malfunction, the first thing you normally should do is to check its status from your device manager. For some strange reasons, I realized the Bluetooth adapter was already disabled. I never did it. Here’s how to re-enable:
- Right-click on the Start button and click Device Manager from the options.
- Expand Bluetooth and right click on the Bluetooth adapter. Choose Enable.
- After this, your Bluetooth adapter should start working again.
Updating the bluetooth adapter driver
If for some reasons, the fix above didn’t work
- Go back to device manager, right click on the Bluetooth adapter and click Update Driver Software.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- This should search the internet for the latest Bluetooth driver software and start installing when an update is found.
- If the process is successful, you should be notified after the driver update installation is complete.
Either of these methods should fix the problem. If you can’t find your Bluetooth device from the device manager, perhaps you need to check your PC vendor’s website to download the driver package.